*

Friday, April 29, 2011

There Are Juiceboxes in My Purse

When leaving the house with the kids, it obviously falls upon the Mom to prepare for the outing. Today there were snacks to gather, diapers to pack, and jackets to find. I made a grocery list and then rounded up the items needed for our errand at the bank. I cleaned up the kids and buckled everyone into the car. Away we went. Levi, having inherited his Daddy’s laid back attitude and inclination to live in the moment, just sat back and enjoyed the ride. It's not uncommon for him to pipe up from the backseat after we've driven several miles and say, “So, where are we going anyway, Mama?”


This is an excerpt from today’s entry in My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers:

“To be certain for God means that we are uncertain in all our ways, we do not know what a day may bring forth. This is generally said with a sigh of sadness; it should be rather an expression of breathless expectation. We are uncertain of the next step, but we are certain of God. Immediately we abandon to God, and do the duty that lies nearest, He packs our life with surprises all the time. When we become advocates of a creed, something dies; we do not believe God, we only believe our belief about Him. Jesus said, “Except ye…become as little children.” Spiritual life is the life of a child. We are not uncertain of God but uncertain of what He is going to do next. If we are only certain in our beliefs, we get dignified and severe and have the ban of finality about our views; but when we are rightly related to God, life is full of spontaneous, joyful uncertainty and expectancy.”

"Mama, I am a puppy.  A puppy named 'Fritzy.  Ruff ruff."

Thankfully as we prepared to leave the house, Levi did not grill me with lots of questions. He did not ask, “Why are we going there?” or “Why are we going there now?” He didn’t suggest a different agenda or complain about the one I had in mind. He just went along, pretending to be a puppy, playing with his brother, obeying when I asked him to use the restroom and then find his sandals. He held my hand as we walked out to the car and sang me a silly song. While I buckled him into the carseat he asked me to make a popping sound with my finger in my cheek. I obliged and he laughed and laughed. Not once did he ask if I had remembered to bring him a snack. He just trusted I had brought what he needed.

I’m trying to be more like Levi- childlike and trusting. Also, I'm trying to be as good of a songwriter as he is.  He comes up with some really great silly song lyrics. “Twinkle, twinkle, little elephant” Hilarious!

No comments: