*

Thursday, January 06, 2011

I Can Hear You Now

It was an early morning for the Dickson household today.  We all got up at 5:30 to get Levi into the hospital for his surgery.  He had a second set of tubes put in (installed?) and his adenoids removed.

Despite the early hour, both boys were quite chipper.  Levi especially was excited about the whole adventure.  Getting his vitals taken and receiving a cool hospital gown to wear was the pinnacle of his week (clearly we don't get out much).


 But wait, there's more!  a hair net!

He was unfazed about being wheeled away on the gurney.  In fact, after the nurse asked him if he would like to operate the buttons that open the doors he didn't even glance back in our direction.  I had been unconcerned about the procedure- unconcerned that is until they wheeled him away.  Then I began to feel...well, concerned.  And maybe a bit teary.

My baby!!!

The whole thing lasted less than 15 minutes.  Everything went smoothly.   The doctor reported that there was a "lot of goo" in his ear drums and that his adenoids were enlarged.  Shortly after that we were brought back to see him in recovery.  He was coming out of the general anesthesia and was pretty worked up.  Luke had to hold him down so that he wouldn't grab at the iv.  It was obvious he felt quite out of sorts.  That didn't last long and by 8:00 we were on our way.

He spent most of the morning on the couch watching 'Dora' but after a couple hours would sporadically get bursts of energy.  At one point he was jumping on the bed pretending to be a puppy. 

As we drove to the pharmacy to get his antibiotic filled.  Milo was complaining about being so cruelly contained in his carseat.   Levi said, "No!  Mommy, tell Baby to be quiet.  He is too loud in my ears!"

My first thought: "Hooray!  He can actually hear normally again!"

My second thought: "Welcome to my world, buddy.  That Baby is too loud in my ears a lot."

So I sang a dozen rounds of "I'm in the Lord's Army" and they both were happy.

p.s. look how little he was the first time he got tubes.

2 comments:

Jamie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jamie said...

I am glad it went so easy. I hope everything goes smoothly for Levi from here (hear!).