*

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Reading with Levi

We use this blog as a tool to keep up with family and friends but it also serves as a 'baby book' of sorts, keeping a record of some of the miscellaneous parts of Levi's day-to-day activities that we might forget as time goes by. Here's a snapshot into the reading portion of his bedtime routine. Please note yet another appearance of the moose pajamas (or as Levi says, "moosejamas")

Tonight we start off with The Cat in the Hat by the venerable Dr. Suess.

Levi's critique: There are many, many items to point at and have my Mommy identify, I like interrupting every other line to say, "What's that?" but at 61 pages long, it's hard to sit still through an entire reading.

Mommy's favorite line: "I know it is wet and the sun is not sunny. But we can have lots of good fun that is funny."

Next up, The New Baby by Mercer Mayer.

Levi's critique: I really like the subject matter of this book. I find babies to be VERY interesting. The pages where the baby is shown crying concern me very much though. (He says, "baby cwying? he cwying? why baby cwying???")

Mommy's favorite line: "She cried a lot...even when I told her my best joke" I understand. That has rarely worked for me either.


On to Tractor Trouble by Ronne Randall. This one is adorable and the pictures are super cute. Those things combined with the fact that Levi calls it, "Twacto Twoubou" charms me to no end.

Levi's critique: Great subject matter- and this one has sound effects. I love wheeled things. My only complaint is that when I point to different parts of the tractor in the book and ask my Mommy to identify them, she only seems to know which the steering wheel and the tires are. I think she is making up answers when she says with an un-confident voice, "Uh...I don't know what that is...the exhaust pipe thingy? and that might be some sort of gear mechanism shaft thingamabob..."

Mommy's favorite line (CAUTION- spoiler alert, look away if you don't want to know how it ends): "They've all learned their lesson now. There's no such thing as a driving cow!"

And finally, Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown. I really like this one but Luke finds it to be a bit odd.
Levi's critique: Again, lots of items to point at and identify. My favorite part of the book is finding the little mouse that moves around from page to page.
Mommy's critique: Why is no one concerned about the little mouse that is running around the nursery???? At the very least the little-old-lady-who-was-whispering-"hush" should set some traps!
Mommy's favorite line: "Goodnight comb and goodnight brush, Goodnight nobody, Goodnight mush"

No comments: