*

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Always Experimenting





Behold the toddler scientist. He repeatedly tests the physical world- most of his research lately has focused on gravity. He's quite interested in what happens when you push something off of the table, off the couch, off the stairs, off the high chair. Much to his mother's chagrin, though, he is oblivious to gravity's effect on his person. You should see the curious look he gave me as I came charging excitedly over to him just as he was about to dive face-first off the couch.


The toddler scientist also studies the interpersonal world. Here is a transcript of what I can only assume was his inner dialogue for part of yesterday afternoon:

"Hmmm, what happens when I do THIS?"
"An unpleasant reaction, duly noted. THIS must be unacceptable"
"I better check to see if THIS is still unacceptable"
"Yep"
"Hmm, What does Mama do if I do THIS again?"
"Yep, still unacceptable."
"Hmmm, what does Mama do if I do THIS another time?"
"And another time??"
"And again?"
"And again?"
"And another time?"
"Interesting, would ya look at how her eyes are bugging out of her head..."
"Yep, still unacceptable"
"I'm bored with THIS, I think I'll go climb up on the couch..."

No comments: