*

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Baby, it's cold outside.

Things are snowy and stormy outside but here, inside on the couch, things are quite cozy. The Kansas City weather this week has been especially variable. People around here are fond of saying, "If you don't like the weather just wait 10 minutes and it will change." That axiom has proved to be quite true in the past few days. On Tuesday it was sunny and unseasonably warm. I didn't even wear a coat to work. The high was in the low 60s. Yesterday we were hit with a nasty ice storm. The freezing rain stopped falling last night and early this afternoon a winter snow storm rolled in. As I sit here in Olathe, at the southernmost part of the metro area, six inches of snow have already fallen with more to come. A foot of snow over a half inch of ice- now that's a recipe for disaster.

The awards dinner I was supposed to attend tonight was cancelled so instead I get to be at home out of the weather. This is just fine with me. I wish Lucas could be here, too, but he has a long night of work still ahead of him at the airport. UPS is in it's peak season and to call things there 'busy' is a giant understatement. Unfortunately, the bad weather will make his night more complicated. Even so, he stays upbeat. What a trooper.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And then you sent it on to St. Louis! I just got my power back around 7 pm tonight (Dec 6) almost exactly 6 days after it went out last Thursday evening. Good thing Dave and Sherri had power for the coldest of those nights. I stayed with them a couple of nights during the outage. Lexi was getting used to seeing Grandpa around there. They send their love too.