*

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Long Time Ago in Bethlehem


Tis the season for Christmas music! I wrote last year about one of my favorites, Little Drummer Boy. Another one that I always enjoy is Mary's Boy Child. Around here, we've been listening to Boney M's version from 1978 and it has inspired a few family dance parties. You can see the music video here.

I have a fond memory of singing this song with my brother and parents in church. I was quite young- maybe 6 years old? There is not a recording of that event so you will just have to check out the video above and imagine that it was exactly the same only not really.

Here is a quick outline of the major differences:

Them: Crazy, furry, all white cloaks
Us: Christmas sweaters, static-y hair from wearing winter hats neccesitated by every Chicago winter.
Them: cool 'Oh my Lord, You sent your son to save us...' addition
Us: We may have sung The Straw Carol (another favorite!) as an encore

Them: island accents ("Looong tim aye-go in Bet-lee-hum...ahnd maahn will leeve for-aye-ver-more becoose of Christmas day")
Us: Great Lakes dialect ("Laahng tie-eem ago in Beth-luh-hee-am...ee-and mee-an will live forever more becaaaause of Christmas day")

Them: Cheesy dance moves
Us: No moves. There may have been some slight swaying.

Them: accompanied by synthesizer and steel drums
Us: Dad strumming on the acoustic guitar
Anyway, I hope you are enjoying all the holiday music because there is no escaping it. Now, next order of business, who will join me in a petition to stop the playing of Paul McCartney's Wonderful Christmastime?

1 comment:

Tim James said...

Quite the Christmas Joy Dance by da Boney M! Tanks for da sharing, Mon!