*

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Happy First Birthday!




Dear Levi,

Last night when we put you to bed you were our baby, a very big one, but a baby nonetheless. Today you woke up as a toddler. How exactly did that happen? I can't quite come up with a good answer. As I think back I remember a lot of time spent dealing with feeding you, changing you, cleaning you, and trying to get you to sleep. There were a lot of silly faces, silly noises, and silly games. We both shared lots of smiles, laughs, and tears. It must have been in the midst of all that activity you grew out of being a baby.

Last year at this time there wasn't a 'little tikes' basketball hoop in the living room and a Jumperoo in the fireplace room. Your Dad and I regularly walked thru the kitchen without stepping on Cheerios. Canned goods stayed in the lower cabinets, folded laundry stayed in the basket, and when I left the house it was with only nonchalance and my purse. Life sure is different now and I wouldn't change a thing. Over the past year I have experienced being the most happy, the most worried, the most perplexed, and the most content I've ever felt in my life. I'm still caught off guard sometimes by the intensity and fierceness of my emotions when it comes to you. I will do everything in my power and then some to make sure that you are taken care of.

Last year on this date I did the hardest work I've ever done. What relief to have you born and to lay eyes on our baby. I'll never forget watching your Dad hold you for the first time. You were perfect and healthy and such a stranger to us then. It's wonderful to know you so well now. I'm sure you've noticed how much your Dad and I adore you. That will never change.




With love,


Mama

No comments: