*

Friday, January 11, 2008

Back to Work

This week marked the end of my maternity leave and my re-entrance into the work force. I returned to my company in a slightly different position and as a half-time employee.

Luke’s cousin Sheralyn will be taking care of Levi while I’m in the office twenty hours a week. I was surprised at how much time it took me to pack and prepare for Levi to be at the sitter and for me to be in the office. You wouldn't think it would be that complicated but the level of preparation was surely only rivaled by the planning of the invasion of Normandy.

The first day in the office went well. My co-workers welcomed me back and asked after the baby. I got to show off his pictures and proudly tell of his latest milestones. In direct contrast to the time at home during my maternity leave, none of my colleagues inexplicably started crying and everyone used words to communicate. There were no loud noises related to bodily functions and everyone ate solid food for lunch. Also, not once, not one single solitary time, was I spit up on.

Our company has outgrown its current office space and will be moving to bigger quarters late this spring. Right now though, every square piece of available space is being occupied. As Levi is still nursing and I do not have my own office, I was a little concerned about securing a private area in which to pump. There is a tiny office in the front of the building that is lately only rarely used by a part time individual. I was able to get permission to use the space. However, as I work in an office with only one other women, setting this up involved a few semi-embarrassing conversations with older male co-workers. In yet another awkward exchange, a supervisor suggested I get a sign to put on the door when I’m using the office to ensure my privacy. What is this sign supposed to say?
Perhaps:

“Pumping Station- Only Authorized Personnel Admitted”
or
“Lactation in Progress- Do Not Disturb”

I decided on more understated verbiage:

All in all the day passed relatively quickly. Sheralyn sent several e-mails letting me know how Levi was doing. By the end of the work day, I could think of nothing besides picking him up. When it was time to leave, I ran out the door and got in my car as fast as I could. The drive seemed to take forever and I was quite frustrated with the other cars that were getting in my way. When I finally got to my little boy, he greeted me with a big gummy smile. It made me so happy, I thought my heart just might burst.

And to think, we’ll do the whole thing over again in two days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How cute his recent pics are!!! I just wanted to say thanks for letting us in on the happenings of the back to work change. I cried at the thought of the emotions and care (happy tears) and then I laughed at the signage predicament. Good final outcome I would say! Fun times! Hope all is going well! Love to you LA and L!